8.2 ft, single fin, red

I needed a new Board.

My “Wack Board”, shaped by Hubert of crank surfboards still does his job, but due to its rocker it needs waves with a bit of punch or size. And when it’s a bit windier, due to it’s size it’s really hard to carry over sharp rocks or wiggly and slippery pebbles. So I wanted my new board to be a bit smaller, lighter, a bit less rocker but also with enough volume to compensate for the arms and the tummy. And I wanted it to be red.

I found a suitable plan online, altered the rocker and the shape a bit, printed out the ribs and spine on A4 sheets and glued them back together. Of course I could have ordered a large print, but this method worked fine before and I didn’t want to wait any longer before I could start. I still had enough paulownia planks and thin cedar strips for the rails, just needed some plywood for the ribs and stringer.

We planned on going to Portugal in December, as our last twosome trip, so I needed to get the board finished quickly. Mostly it worked out well, but it became clear that I would need a rockertable for future boards. Glassing was still difficult for me, but with more and more practice I’m quite confident that the next board will come out better. The red pigment in the resin left just enough woodstructure visible to become a subtle mix of wood and plastic. To brand it with “Yolk Surfboards” label, my fictional surfcompany, I cut out a woodprint and printed on fibreglass cloth.

I tested it in Portugal, and I was happy right away. It is the lightes board in my quiver so far, paddels well and the moment I took off it becomes pretty fast and stays maneuverable. It works in weaker waves then my big board and also not unimportant: I’ve built it myself;)



Café Gloria, Cologne

For 6 weeks I am showing a selection of woodprints in colognes neat and lovely Café Gloria!

The Café is part of the well known “Gloria Theater” a cultural hotspot in colognes vibrant art-scene.

Though it was pretty difficult to display the prints (no nails, no screws, just nylon cord) I’m pretty happy  how the prints look in this funny architecture.

Notice those light wells in the walls? There might be a small woodprint hidden inside the wall for eternity now… For future archeologists to baffle or just some contractor to throw away…;(

Big thanks go to Isabell for helping all around this small exhibition, and for Jan to make it a special day.


Gloria Theater
Apostelnstr. 11
D-50667 Köln


Amira, Super-PTA

Longtime friend Maria thought of me, when she was pitching for a new project.
And everybody was happy with the style and look of my illustrations so we went on to design a new face for the whole operation, a character: Amira, Super PTA. A superhero watching over all those hard-working, lab-coat wearing humans. To this point it is not sure if the whole operation will be as altruistic as presented, but Amiras intent in any case is to do good. Hope she stays strong and will not be fooled by sinister allure.

As we already hit the spot during the pitching phase we could quickly move on and adapt her in some different poses. It looks as Amira will become a big project with the need for lots of artwork and animated clips. So watch out for this new superhero!


Client: Amira
Agency: Beziehungsweise
Website: www.amira-welt.de


Animated Clip for Urner Kantonalbank

Beginning of October I was contacted via my representatives by a swiss agency from St. Gallen, Yjoo.
They had a visually appealing and technically (at least for me) quite challenging project and wanted me to do the illustration and animation. The client, the Urner Kantonalbank was going for a strategy change and wanted to communicate this through an animated film.

The project kickoff was in november, and with an aim to have a first final version ready for december it was clear that the timing was tight. As the storyline had been provided by the agency and worked quite well i directly started with some character sketches and the storyboard. After a few drafts we agreed on the characters, style and storytelling and I went on with illustrating all characters, poses elements and background.

The challenge was to have a camera flight starting in a birdseye view of a map (of the Kanton Uri) and flying in and out of three different locations and scenes. Because this is no real 3D, rather 2.5 D I had to find a way to synchronically rotate all elements on the map according to the camera movement. This brought a hell of a lot of trouble with it: disappearing mountains, houses that jump over trees and all kinds of layer trouble. I never had a project with so many unexpected errors or bugs, and so many renders in between.

In the end, it all worked out of course. The client received a good version in time, and with a bit of extra time (two weeks) another version, (nearly) bug free, and with all the shadings and sructures I had in mind.

Oh, did I mention that it also quite complex to choreograph around 12 people in one scene…?

watch it here or click below.



Agency: Yjoo / Suisse 
Creative Director: Jan Walser

Roland Roller Frei

Client: Urner Kantonalbank



monochromatic world!

I love doing illustration with just one colour!

That’s actually how I started off with vector based illustration. So I was happy when I was assigned to do three illustration just in orange.
It was quite tricky to fullfill the clients wish to place a lot of products in the scene, but with the help of some quick 3d I finally found the right perspectives.


Client: Trinseo
Agency: Palmer Hargreaves, cologne

How is Iva doing?

I regularly provide follow up illustrations of the main character I developed for La Viva Magazine.

I really like doing illustration of the same character, it really grows and becomes more and more a real person in my mind.

So here’s a short overview of what she was doing last year. Winter brought a lot of snow and which was great for a couple of days, but after that just was annoying. Snow in the city tends to turn to mud pretty quickly.
So, when finally springtime came Iva spent every free time for picknics and long bikerides in the first warm sunrays. Summer brought a lot of partying and enjoying the good sides of life.
When autumn came Ivas mood rapidly changed. She started to read news and that really dragged her down. What really drove her mad was, that besides all the political rubbish happening each day, it seems everybody capitulated over the threat of climate change. Sure, we know what we could and should do, but hardly anybody really changes his or her lifestyle.

Client: La Viva Magazine
Agency: Gruner & Jahr


I was asked to illustrate a short story about conception, pregnancy and what it does to you, when it is not happening that easily. Really liked the topic and how the story was told and had fun illustrating this .


Client: Exeltis
Agency: Strategas

Truck pick up in CZ


Endlich, nach “nur” 9 Monaten Verzögerung ist unser neuer Truck und Koffer abholbereit!

Vor gut einem Jahr habe ich einen Mercedes Vario 615 D mit Doppelkabine als neuen fahrbahren Untersatz für unser Mobiles office und Surfmobil gekauftund einen Kofferaufbau dafür in Auftrag gegeben. Nach einem endlosen hin und her, unzähligen Verzögerungen und frustrierend schleppendem Fortschritt sollt edas Fahrzeug nun endlich, gerade mal 9 Monate verspätet fertig zur Abholung sein. Da die Produktionsstätte in Tschechien liegt stand also eine Reise bevor. Glücklicherweise sagte mein Freund Jan zu, mich auf dieser Reise zu begleiten.

Am Sonntag ging es los: Flug von Düsseldorf nach Prag, ganz problemlos. Mit dem Bus und Metro in die Innenstadt und dann direkt zu unserer Unterkunft, ein sehr nettes kleines Backpacker/Hostel mit stylischer Bar und guter Musik vom Plattenspieler. Gepäck abgeladen und dann direkt los, die Stadt anschauen und etwas Essen. Nach einem leckeren Essen und nettem Gespräch mit unserer Tischnachbarin schlenderten wir runter zu Moldau und fanden eine kleine Ausstellung von Architekturmodellen. Danach probierten wir noch ein paar Prager Süßigkeiten, die uns aber nicht besonders begeistern konnten. Noch ein Drink in der Bar, danach gings ins Bett.

Am nächsten Tag haben wir die Bahn nach Hradec Karlové mit kurzem Umstieg in Pardubice genommen. Alles funktionierte wieder problemlos, bis wir dann am Bahnhof von H.K. unseren Ansprechpartner anriefen, damit er uns (wie verabredet) abholen würde. Er war sehr verwundert, dass wir schon da wären, da ihn niemand informiert hatte. Er würde aber seine Frau anrufen, damit sie uns abholen könne. Anderthalb Stunden später fragte ich nochmals nach, ob wir nun abgeholt werden, dann eine weitere halbe Stunde später schliesslich kam eine Frau mitihrer Tochter um uns abzuholen. Sie war sichtlich genervt, da sie auch nicht über unser Kommen informiert war. Auch fragte sie mich, ob ich denn schon Bescheid wüsste über den Blinker…

Auf der Fahrt zu Mercedes (nicht der Produktionsstätte in Horice) eröffnete sie mir nach und nach, dass am Freitag “plötzlich” der Blinker auf der rechten Seite und auch der Scheibenwischer nicht mehr funktionierte. Deshalb sei das Fahrzeug nun auch bei Mercedes, aber sie hätten das noch nicht beheben können. Grumpf. Bei Mercedes blickte ich auch nur in ratlose Gesichter, aber zum ersten Mal auch das Fahrzeug und den neuen Koffer. Sieht wunderbar aus! Alles schön massiv gebaut und das Fahrerhaus auch fein neu lackiert. Leider, nicht wie vereinbart auch an den Innenseiten der Türen, aber gut. Wichtiger war indem Moment nur, ob das Fahrzeug fahrbereit sein würde. “Das rechte Rücklicht funktioniert auch nicht” hörte ich von einem Mercedes Mitarbeiter. Die nachfolgenden Diskussionen, Ärgernisse und Unklarheiten will ich hier gar nicht im Detail beschreiben, aber immerhin konnten wir gegen sechs Uhr Abends schließlich mit dem neuen Truck losfahren.

Unser erstes Ziel war Cesky Raj, und wir schafften es auch kurz nach Einbruch der Dunkelheit in Hruba Skala anzukommen und nahmen ein Zimmer im schönen alten Hotel in der Burganlage. Auf der Terasse vom angrenzenden Restaurant gab es wieder gutes tschechisches Essen und leckeres Bier zu großartiger Aussicht.

Am nächsten Morgen machten wir noch einen kleinen Spaziergang durch die spannenede Landschaft von Cesky Raj mit seinen skurrilen Felsensäulen und Schluchten. Dann kauften wir kurz ein und machten uns auf die weite Rückreise. Wir kamen mit Ausnahme von ein paar wenigen Staus gut durch und waren am späten Nachmittag wieder in Deutschland. Bei Schmidgaden kannte ich einen guten Übernachtungsplatz an einem Badesee den wir ansteuerten und bald fanden. Hier sank unsere Stimmung erstmal: an einem Tisch saß eine Runde junger Männer, einer mit Glatze. Der Frei.wild. Aufkleber auf seinem Auto war uns natürlich auch nicht entgangen. Ob das nun ein guter Ort für die Nacht sein würde stand auf einmal sehr in Frage. Dummerweise war an eine weiterfahrt bei Nacht mit defektem Rücklicht nicht zu denken. Ich war von der Fahrt total erledigt und ging erstmal schwimmen. Und danach sind wir ein bisschen die Hänge hochgekraxelt und haben die netten Wälder ums Magdalenental erkundet. Wir beschlossen ins nahe Naabtal zu fahren um etwas zu essen und dann später wieder zurück zu kommen. Bis dahin, so hofften wir, würden die Typen höchstewarscheinlich abgehauen sein. Das Essen im weissen Lamm brauchte ewig und war das schlechteste, was wir seit langem gegessen hatten. In Tütensuppe ertränkte Spätzle und Fleisch. Immerhin war die Landjugend mittlerweile vom See verschwunden und wir hatten den Platz für uns allein. Die Laune stieg und mündete in lustige Langzeitbelichtungen mit Kopflampen unter Sternenhimmel.

Die Nacht war dann etwas ungemütlich. Ein Sturm mit prasselndem Regen und Blitz und Donner brach los und dauerte bis in die Morgenstunden an. Ohne Scheibenwischer war an ein Weiterfahren natürlich nicht mehr zu denken. Die Laune sank und konnte nur mit einem Kaffee und Snack an der nächsten Tankstelle aufgefangen werden. Dort gab es auch wieder Netzabdeckung und wir konnten nun sehen, dass der Regen nicht dauerhaft bleiben sollte. Und ja, eine halbe Stunde später konnten wir uns wieder auf die Autobahn trauen. Zweimal gab es kurze Regenschauer, aber dann wurde es heiß. Der Rest der Rückfahrt war mit Staus durchzogen und daher lang, aber problem- und ereignislos. Am frühen Abend kamen wir schließlich in Düsseldorf an. Jetzt “nur” noch neuen TÜV und ich kann endlich mit dem Innenausbau beginnen…

Exhibition in Hattingen

The day of the exhibition has come and I’m feeling nervous like hell!

The night before Nadine and I did a short practice and run through our show, and I framed the last prints, sorted the postcards and did the last chores on the list. My workshop looked robbed and ransacked.

The day before that I went to Hattingen with the whole exhibition stuffed in my car and put the prints on the walls and piled the small ones o a tower. With a lot of help from Ulis family and neighbours we managed to hangall prints in time and I went home, exhausted but happy about the outcome of our work.

Now I was just nervous! It was not my first exhibition of course, but I had no idea who will show up, or if anybody would show up at all. And I’ve never played the Ukulele in front of an audience.

Half an hour before the opening, Nadine and I went up a hill to a lovely vista point to go once more through the songs. It went well, and I suddenly felt quite confident. When we arrived back at the gallery there were around 80 people already and the owners of the gallery had already started their speeches. And then they were let in. I heard some “wow” and “ooh”, and my mood rose constantly. All went well, had nice chats and at about half past eight we decided to start the musical act. “free” was our first song and was meant to gather the people around and make them shut up. The first part worked perfectly, the second didn’t. And the nervousness was back.

Also we weren’t clever enough to set up a monitor box, so there was no chance for us to hear ourselves singing or playing. At one point I tried to play the Ukulele a bit louder, because I was afraid that nobody would hear and my fingers grabbed the strings quite strongly. My nervousness had changed to fatalism. I guess the sound wasn’t that great, but everyone told us it was good. Such nice people;)

We had a big gyros pita afterwards and I kept on chatting with different people who had come to see the exhibition. It was a lovely night, and I roughly estimated 200 visitors. So for me, it felt like a total success.

Solo Exhibition Preview

Friday 14th of September: Vernissage and opening of the new Gallery “Kleine Affäre” in Blankenstein, Hattingen.

A couple of weeks ago I got a call from Uli Wilkes, whom I worked for a couple of years ago and who also placed some of my woodprints in a TV production, telling me about his plans to  rent a small shop right across his house in the historic center of Blankenstein. He had been a couple of times at exhibitions in our “Gallery Revolver” back then, and had some questions about running a gallery. One day after our talk he called again to tell me, that he is going for it, and asked if I could do the first show there. What a question? Of course!

In just a couple of weeks he (and his handy neighbours) managed to fully renovate the shop, including refurbishing the art-deco windows. And set up a website. And plan the following exhibitions…

For my exhibition I’m planning to set up a new tower of prints, but a bit higher than the one before. Also I have plenty of walls to show a lot of large prints, and probably some surfboards too.
I asked Nadine Beneke if she would be willing to join in that evening, and she happily agreed! I’m so happy that she will be singing some of her own songs, and perhaps some cover songs related to my prints.

Even though I have printed quite some prints in the last year, I wanted to do some new ones specially for this exhibition. Further down there’s a preview of what’s to come. All unfinished, mostly after printing the second colour.


Update: over the weekend I printed the last color and started to build new frames. For this show I will need around 30 additional frames, and with parts of other projects standing around it got quite “cozy” in my workshop…


Here are the facts:

14th September 2018
19:00 h

Kleine Affäre
Marktplatz 19
45227 Hattingen












Lou – a BAD story

I was asked by Zone in Bristol to do an animated film about a delicate topic: Bile Acid Diarrhoea!

The film tells the story of Lou, who tries to live her life but is constantly held back by her condition. But when Lou is diagnosed with Bile Acid Diarrhoea (also known as Bile Acid Malabsorption), she gains the power and knowledge to cut the chain of her condition and increase the quality of her life.

Fiona Allens voice was a perfect choice to deal with this sensible topic, delivered with a good sense of humour. The illustration are all vector based, as is the animation. Structures, brushes and effects were added late in the animation process.


Agency: Zone
Creative Director: Matthew Pink
Client: GE Healthcare